Thursday, August 2, 2012

Switches

7/27/12

In the last couple of days it seems someone has dialed down the nausea factor, which is an incredibly welcome relief.  I'm still touchy, though, and need to make sure I'm eating throughout the day to try to head off the hunger and subsequent crummy feelings.

In other news, yesterday my mood swing switched got flipped.  Some co-workers say they've noticed I've been more quiet and sedate lately (no doubt due to my weariness, both at having to accomplish the incredible task of breathing, much less powering through a full day of work and the effort it takes to not flee to the bathroom every 15 minutes).  Our daily customer service meeting must have been quite a surprise, then, when I found myself cracking joke after joke.  I almost couldn't stop myself from saying exactly what was on my mind after every other question or topic that was brought up and became the comic of the meeting.  Problem is every time I started giggling at myself and my absurd, out-of-the-blue stand up routine I walked the line of it turning into uncontrollable tears.  Very awkward.  I was sure I would look so insane I'd have to break the news early by way of explanation for my behavior.  Luckily everyone thought I was just having a good laugh and didn't suspect anything unusual, despite my internal struggle to stay on the better side of roaring laughter and racking sobs.

Milk has become my best friend and I am craving it like crazy, which is excellent as there are far worse things to crave, like beer-battered cheese bites (reminder to self: STOP GROCERY SHOPPING WHILE PREGNANT!).  Thankfully that devilish snack got reduced heartily in numbers thanks to being baked on an ancient pizza pan that finally gave up the ghost, and by ghost I mean it's coating via adherence to the bottom of my sinful cheese nibblets.  The Universe's way of saying, "Stop being stupid!".  Thanks, Universe!

Yesterday was extra fun when I was called out by two more friends.  One of which, a co-worker, I was convinced has known my news since I first found out.  She's uber intuitive like that and said she has known something was going on.  She'd almost managed to convince herself that for the first time she may have been wrong but yesterday all the puzzle pieces came together and she outed me.  The other was an even bigger surprise when I called a friend from grade-school to have a quick chat and the first words out of her mouth were to ask if I was pregnant.  This caught me completely off guard as we don't communicate very often and I couldn't begin to understand how she could have come to that conclusion.  Turns out just about everyone who'd called her in the past week or so was sharing the same news, so I just added to her list.  During our call I learned my best friend from school is also pregnant and expecting 2 months before us.  What are the odds?

Our very first appointment with the midwives is on Monday (July 30th) and I'm getting really excited for it.  Last night I was so excited I woke up at 3 in the morning and couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep.  I eventually drifted off but today my body is angry I lost that precious time.  Monday can't come soon enough as I'm ready to really feel like we're getting this show on the road (something about the first appointment just feels so official) and we'll finally be making the public announcement of the news.  Trying to keep the secret has A) been incredibly difficult and B) pretty much a failure as the number of people who know is fairly huge.  Come on, Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment