Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Breaking Gums

How has it been a month since I last wrote, already?!  Time goes way too fast.

Flynn's first word was 'Mama'.  Believe it or not I haven't been communicating to him with a dialogue exclusively containing that word, I just happen to make a lot of 'm' sounds by default, it's my comfortable go to when I'm interacting with him and so it seems perfectly logical that something beginning with 'ma' would be his first word.  In the past week or so we've added 'baba' to the mix and we are diligently working on 'dada', though that one isn't making an appearance yet.

Rolling over has gotten easier for him, even if he still isn't doing a ton of it.  We try to entice him to roll and make an effort to scoot by waving toys just out of his reach and sqwaking nonsensical words at a pitch I'm sure produces headaches for the dogs but Flynn would rather chill where he lies and entertain himself with his feet, forget you guys and your toys.  He'll get there, I'm not worried, he just makes sure we know it's going to be at HIS pace, no matter how ridiculous our display of encouragement is.  Nice try, silly parents.

Sitting up is improving, too, but he's in defective Weeble-Wobble mode (he weebles and he wobbles and then he totally falls down). Still it is so much fun to watch his marked improvement every day.

Yesterday Clif was worried because Flynn woke up early, fussing, and wasn't inclined to go about his day without an attitude.  Even more troubling was the fact that he wasn't all that interested in eating.  We were keeping an eye on him, Clif physically and me by watching my phone like a hawk for text updates, to see if there would be any other signs of something possibly wrong.  By lunch his appetite had picked back up, he had a few explosive diapers and seemed to be more like himself.  If it hadn't been for the conversation we'd had with our neighbor on Sunday, when she told us that blow out diapers were the herald for erupting teeth, I don't think we would have even thought to take a look in his mouth.  Sure enough the smallest bit of tooth has broken ground, and it's SHARP!  I've been saying for months, it seems like, that with as much saliva he's been producing he'd better be getting teeth in or we'll have to move into a house boat.  It's kind of surreal to see that milestone come to fruition, even though I know it's been weeks in the making.

I still spend every day in flux between wanting to be doing more of everything but not ready to give up even a moment of time with Flynn and Clif.  In fact, I'm not sure I could say it any better than Kristen, of Rage Against the Minivan did, so I'll just say "Ditto".

No comments:

Post a Comment